Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Sticker Book


I have been cleaning out our storage shed the last few weeks and I finally dove into all the boxes that said "Maeve High School Stuff." It was a mixture of stuff I had saved and things my parents had saved - not just through the four years of high school but really from my beginning. I found lots of little knick-knacks I had been given or collected, plenty of newpaper clippings from anything from soccer to science competitions to toy drives.

I also found My Sticker Book. I loved my sticker book for the time I collected stickers and I thought the kids would get a kick out of it. Ian didn't even know what a scratch and sniff sticker was - crazy! Do they not make them anymore? We both laughed because though all of these stickers were easily over 25 years old (sigh) most of them still had their scent intact, especially the skunk. Ian wasn't enthralled by the stickers - is that a generation thing or a gender thing? I'm not sure. Either way it was a pretty funny 15 minutes.

The most special time was looking through all the cards that my mom had saved from my birth onward. It was sweet to see how many people had remembered my birthday each year. Not just my parents and grandparents but all my aunts and uncles and even most of my parents' friends. How thoughtful of all those people. I am glad my mom saved all that stuff and passed it down though it really served no purpose than to give me one fall afternoon of reminiscing and feeling loved by so many people.

I hope that by clearing out our lives, Chris and I can make room to save little things for our children that will remind them of how special and loved they were and always will be.

No comments: