Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ready, Set, Grow

We have a great garden going again this year. Chris did a great job of getting all the soil ready using our compost pile and Shelly and Dave helped us plant during their visit. So far everything is doing really well. We have been on weed and catepillar patrol, already catching some pretty nasty ones, hoping to avoid mass destruction. If all continues as planned, we will need to be canning tomatoes this year for sure. We have several kinds of tomatoes, green beans, bush beans, basil, cilantro, parsley, corn, eggplant, cucumbers, green peppers, jalepenos, and two types of chard. We also have some mystery melon that had sprouted and was growing happily in the compost pile. I think it is a canteloupe and I will be putting it in the first available spot. I can't wait to see all the beautiful colors.







Speaking of beautiful colors.... the Iris' I hastily moved one fall have finally found their footing in their new home and gave some wonderful blooms this year. Plus with all the rain the wildflowers were super happy too. We even had bluebonnets in our yard that we hadn't ever seen before. The front yard was covered in yellow, blue, purple and pink and gave Chris a nice excuse not to mow. Unfortunately, we are quickly approaching the end of that grace period, but it was beautiful while it lasted.




No comments: