Monday, May 17, 2010

Gymnastics Finale

Ian finished up his gymnastics this spring with a wonderful performance. He did the rings, pommel horse, parallel bars, high bars, a spring board front handstand, and a floor routine. It was darling to watch.

Ian with Coach Marcus

Ian with Coach Ben

The beginning of last summer Ian moved into a 7-9 year old class and as he wasn't even 6, it was a bit intimidating. Push ups, sit ups, squats against the wall and arm crawls across the floor with his feet dragging on a paper plate became the new norm. He pushed on though, sometimes of his own persistence and sometimes of mine, but he made it through the whole year and was able to recognize his accomplishments and progress. He is noticeably stronger and has a great deal of confidence in any physical challenge.

Writing this post is sad because Stellar Gymnastics, the gym where we have attended since just a few months after moving to Kerrville, has closed. It was a true blessing in my life when Ian was an activity crazed, almost 2 year old with endless energy in a town that wasn't really 2 year old friendly. Sue and Marcus, the owners, were always a great encouragement to me. They were always patient with Ian and gave me helpful tips in satisfying his gross motor needs. Garrett started in the class almost from birth as did Nora. It was a mommy and me class and little brothers and sisters were welcome to tag along.

I will certainly miss going there once a week, sometimes more.... I think I have been there almost once a week for 5 years. I would have gone everyday with Ian that first year!

I am so thankful for Stellar Gymnastics and the place they provided for my children. I know it was a hard and emotional decision for them to close. I pray everyone involved will remember their time there fondly and move on to bigger and better things. I am trying to find a way for Ian to continue in gymnastics without having to drive too far or compromising on the warm, family environment Stellar provided and we appreciate, but right now I will just be thankful.

No comments: