Thursday, July 23, 2009

Well Ma'am, Here's your problem...


So we will remember and learn from this experience, I thought I would document more of our foundation findings. Here is the issue: original house foundation, 30+ years old, on the left with the original exterior beam measuring 34" deep vs. extension of the kitchen on the right, added in 1998 we think, with the new exterior beam measuring 17" max. Those two things combined equal the crack you can see going up through the foundation and into the brick. Lesson learned: even if you live out in the country and the laws do not require inspections - get one anyway and make sure your contractor is following whatever guidelines he would just 8 miles down the road. Now we have these great steel piers holding up the front of the kitchen so it shouldn't go anywhere!

1 comment:

Little Apple said...

That's cool looking. I will have to show Dan.