Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pheasant Feast



Tonight we had a pheasant feast from Chris's hunt over the weekend. It tied in perfectly with another Roald Dahl book Ian and I recently finished, Danny, Champion of the World. The book is all about a father and son outwitting a rich, rude land baron by poaching his entire flock of pheasant. In the book the Father says that the best way to eat pheasant is roasted with bacon on top, breadsauce, potato chips (aka fries), and boiled turnips. I tried to replicate this meal for dinner tonight. I skimped on the breadsauce, but the bacon wrapped, roasted pheasant was really tasty and the fries were good of course. The boys both tasted a turnip and smiled for about 5 seconds and then didn't like it. I thought it had a rutabaga-ish taste and I like rutabaga so I will be finishing off the turnips. The kids loved it the pheasant, so we will definitely be roasting pheasant more often. So fun to tie in the book too. The boys asked Chris if he used the "sticky hat" technique.... you will just have to read it to find out.
PS - This morning while Chris was making Pheasant tacos for his lunch, Ian said they should make pheasant lunchables. I think he is right.

No comments: