Friday, December 3, 2010

Oooo--ooooo--ooooo


On Wednesday, we lost our Monday.
My father's mother, Harriet, was the Elliott family matriarch and "Monday" to her grandchildren.
She was a strong woman who worked hard to keep her family running. I know keeping my dad and his two brothers in line was a true feat of endurance and with the addition of a little sister, her days were extra full.
As children, every time we saw Monday she was prepared to see us with packs of gum at church, dollar bills for soccer goals and grades, a picnic lunch on a airplane, a pack of cards to make the time pass, not to mention a big hug and a kleenex up her sleeve.
Monday was an accomplished cook; most famous for her wide array of jell-o concoctions, barley salad, super-duper cakes, and the ability to put zucchini in anything and still make it taste good. Sunday lunches at her house were always fun.
Monday also enjoyed playing cards, candy making, crochet, and crafts. I don't know an Elliott house that didn't have a Monday blanket or decorative paper kleenex box cover. As we hang our Christmas stockings each year we will be reminded of her handywork and I would bet most grandchildren can still play a mean game of Uno or Kings in the Corner.
After my grandfather, Cameron, died in the early 70s she worked at the Dental School in Cleveland. That is where she was the day I was born and she got the call to come and visit. While I certainly don't remember our fist meeting, it became a sweet clouded memory for her in the last few years confusing me, on occasion, as a friend she had known from working there.
She was always so thrilled to think of "me" now as not only a good friend from work but also part of her family. It was touching to have her think of me as a friend for she has had many. Ladies luncheons, Sisters group at church, the 8Some Supper Club and the a high school Lunch Bunch were all important to her.
She remarried when I was four to my grandfather, Aden, whom I give much credit to for sustaining her attendance at all soccer games, school performances, birthday parties and anything else we could come up with throughout the years.
Aden loved to drive and Monday loved to ride.
They were the first family Chris and I shared our engagement news with in person, meeting at their favorite strawberry shortcake stand in Florida where they would spend several weeks each spring.
The post title is a reminder of the call she would make when looking for someone.
It was distinctive and when you heard it you knew someone, especially Monday, was looking for you and to come back.
She was dear to many people and will be missed by all.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Maeve, what a wonderful tribute to your grandmother! We all should hope to be so much fun for our grandchildren.

Thanks for all the posts and photos--I love seeing all of them. I do know how relieved you are that Ian is not going over Niagara Falls in a barrel!

BG Cindy