Friday, December 17, 2010

Ohio or Bust

We spent a quick week in Ohio last week to attend Monday's Memorial Service and visit with family. We decided to drive to save on cost, simplify cars in Ohio and allow me to stay a few extra days while Chris and Ian returned home to get back to work. If you are wondering, it is 1415 miles from my door to my parents door, 23 hours of driving. The kids did great - and I mean it! Sure we had a few "put your feet downs" and everybody keep your hands to yourself, but overall they were wonderful. I had done some really good toy/snack pre-packing that I think helped and we did allow the video players so all of that added up to a smooth ride.

One of the funniest parts was when we were between Texarkana and Little Rock and Ian looked up from what he was doing to exclaim, "Look Garrett, we're in Ohio!" The trees had just gotten taller. If only Ohio were that close.

On our second day we hit Nashville and couldn't help but swing through the ever changing Vanderbilt campus. We took a quick picture of the kids and while I sorted out the boys in the back seat Chris and Nora played a badly needed game of chase on the lawn. All was simple enough and we were thankful that Nora decided to puke on day two. I suspect that she inherited my motion sickness gene.

Monday's funeral was simple and thoughtful. Our family plot is in a beautiful cemetery in downtown Cleveland just across from the Garfield Monument and believe it or not, next to Rockefeller. Yes, the real Rockefeller and lots of other prominent names of the industrial age. The Wade Chapel, where we met, is a sweet little building on the property with Tiffany glass panels depicting the history and trials of the Israelites and was a wonderful setting to remember Monday. Afterwards, my parents hosted the biggest gathering of my extended family I have enjoyed in a very long time.

Chris and Ian flew out Monday morning after a drive to the airport in a really bad snowstorm. My white knuckles got us there and me back; no thanks to my "Texas never gets snow" tires and my 32deg and up windshield wiper fluid. Needless to say I was thankful I know how to drive in the snow, that they had the 6:30am flight and to get back in bed.

The amount of snow sort of cramped our style for the next few days. I am always wanting snow when we go to Ohio, but not this much. Garrett and Nora aren't snow bunnies like Ian and we hadn't come prepared for the onslaught. We hunkered down inside and watched Toy Story 2 & 3, did puzzles, read books, played in the basement, did workbooks, played tigers on the stairs, hung out with Brenna, Colin and Aden and relaxed.

It was nice to have a few more days with family before I kidnapped my mom in the passenger seat and forced her to ride back to Texas with me. Again that drive was simple and easy other than a strange table at the Waffle House and weird dudes at the La Quinta.

I am really proud of the kids for hanging in there through all of the travel. Ian had all his homework for school done early, Garrett slept a lot, and Nora used travel center bathrooms.

I do have the regret that I drove through cities with three good friends in them that I didn't get to stop and visit. I love to stop and visit friends when driving through - even if only for a few minutes. I think it is always fun to see people in their homes with their kids and not just at some easy to get to destination. This trip didn't allow for visits coming or going and I didn't like that one bit.

No comments: