The other day while Ian was at gymnastics camp and Nora was napping, Chris and I got to spend some special time with Garrett. Chris was home that day to help make sure all the rock work was started correctly, but was in the computer room working on quail stuff. I was cleaning up our bedroom and had asked Garrett to play "delivery boy" with me. Ian loves the game, but Garrett wasn't interested. He said, "I know what to play" and ran to Chris. A little while later he came back into the room and pretended I was a shop keeper and he had a list of things to buy. He was holding a little notebook and a pen and had asked Chris how to spell "shoes with dolphins." After 'shopping' a bit I asked if I could help him and he said he was looking for a pair of shoes with dolphins on them. A strange request, I know, but of course I knew he wanted to buy my slippers. We pretended to try them on and he paid me and then walked out with his new shoes. He went back to Chris for more spelling help and came back several times requesting, hiking boots, a hunting hat, guinea pigs (he settled for a pillow that looks like a turtle), and a shirt.
It was fun and I was so happy that life fell into place to allow him the time and supporting players to create such a great game. We have run into problems when asking Garrett what he wants to play because it is usually something large scale like that and isn't possible with Nora running around or time requirements. His play requests can end up in just total frustration on everyone's part. It was a joy to see him control the game and create the whole scenario.
No comments:
Post a Comment