Chris was off on a fishing trip with some friends last night so the kids and I were working through a Thursday on our own. That included school pick ups, car pool drop off, Ian tennis and Ian soccer. I was completely organized for everything - had Ian's clothes, racquet, soccer ball, extra water, duct tape for soccer shoes (another post), picnic dinner, and sunscreen. I even cleaned out my car while Nora napped and Garrett colored during tennis lessons. The evening was right on track and I was feeling good.
Upon arriving home, clear instructions were given and a bath was run. Garrett first, then Nora, while Ian finished preparing for assessments. Garrett and Nora didn't follow instructions and while I was with Ian I heard a crash in the bathroom. Naked Nora had slipped on the floor and hit her head. Garrett was immediately alarmed and kept asking me over and over if I was calling 911. I wasn't - there was no blood but she was crying big time. Then she started throwing up - due to the crying, not the head bump. Strawberries and some bread from her picnic dinner. Just then Ian came to see what was happening and nearly fell apart as he looked in the bathroom. All he knew was that Nora had bumped her head and with the evidence on the floor, he was sure some of her brain had fallen out. I read his mind pretty quickly and saved him from passing out in the hallway by assuring him that was not the case. Then I just started laughing. Garrett joined in and calmed down though he was still a bit shaken and Ian was literally rolling on the floor.
Nora eventually calmed down, we checked eyes, and ears, and located the nice sized lump on her head. Garrett had adrenalin-ed himself out and put himself to bed shortly after and Ian was still slightly shaken by his imagination but worked hard to memorize Rum Tug Tugger by T.S. Eliot.
Nora stayed up with me as a precaution a lot longer than I had planned, cleaning up the bathroom and the kitchen. She still has a little headache but never lost a beat. The boys this morning were again discussing the events and were asking me lots of brain questions that I wasn't ready for at 7 am.
I am so thankful that Nora was spared real harm. I don't think Garrett or Ian will ever forget this one.
I can't even imagine what they are telling their teachers and friends today. I may have some explaining to do.
Come home Chris.
1 comment:
Oh my! I don't know if I would have handled all of that as smoothly as you did!
Thanks for posting -- so enjoying the new updates!
BG Cindy
Post a Comment