Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cakebread Revisited

Wondering where we've been?

Napa, of course.





We are back from our business/pleasure trip to Cakebread Cellars in Napa, CA. It is always fun, relaxing and a much needed, hot, Texas weather respite.

We were again able to meet some talented chefs, enjoy beautiful scenery, visit with people from all over and eat amazing food made with amazing ingredients.


This year's line up included:


One of the most rewarding parts of the even for us is to connect with the other food purveyors. All have interesting stories on how they became interested in their product, how they decided that quality was going to be priority one and how they were able to break into the fine dining restaurant supply chain. All have funny press stories and television experiences.

Check out this past blog post or this post for other past chef and purveyor links
and then check out these:

This year, with one chef unexpectedly unable to get through customs, a resident Chef with Cakebread Cellars stepped up to fill the slot. Jennifer Contreras did the dessert courses for the Harvest Dinners and I volunteered to help. I learned that I am not persistent enough, patient enough or enough of a perfectionist to professionally present a dessert, but I love to make them and thankfully in my circles, as long as it tastes good I am OK.
We had fun working together and I definitely picked up some tips here and there.
My favorite part was making peanut brittle.




No comments: