Thursday, August 6, 2009

Celebrating Fran

My maternal grandmother, Frances, died last night. We aren't having services right away so I have been remembering fun things on my own.
Top of the list was her joyful squeal that she would incorporate into your name when she saw you or talked to you on the phone. I loved hearing that squeal, especially when I shared expecting baby news with her.
Spending the weekend at her house when we were kids was always fun: a bowl of Count Chocula before bed, watching early Nickelodeon (You can't do that on Television & Pinwheel), playing Pong, playing in the woods behind the house, going to the duck pond in the MetroParks. Even heading downtown to wander and find a good place for pie.
She had great old furs she would wear in winter and even had a big Dr. Zhivago-ish hat that looked perfect on her. She loved animals and cared for more dogs and cats than I could list here. All were part of the family and loved dearly.
She and my Grandfather were married for almost 70 years. They met in Chicago but raised their family of 4 beautiful girls in Cleveland. They loved to travel - Florida, Mexico, Africa, and especially the southwest US and South Dakota. They have spent the last 8 years or so in Albuquerque with my aunt enjoying the warmer weather, mountains and scenery they always loved.
She will be missed by her 10 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren and many more friends and family.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Maeve, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Those great memories will stay with you forever. I guess Honey needed a confidant.
BG Cindy

Moonerandthemissus said...

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a great woman.