

I discovered these nests while I was mowing last week and we can't decide what made them. We haven't ever seen anything like them before. After finding three the first day, we found two more two days later. The last two I think had hatched over night because the egg shells were much more pliable still and we had walked past that spot the day before and not noticed.
Chris and I are leaning towards turtle, but those seem like big holes for our turtles around here to dig. Plus we think it strange that the egg shells are up out of the hole. I realize these nests could have been ravaged by a raccoon that dug them up and ate them, but they seem like they hatched to me for some reason.
Comment if you have ever seen this or just want to put up a guess. We are going to try and get some professional assistance so I will update you when we know more.
**UPDATE** Definitely turtle (North American snakes do not dig holes) and the nests were most likely raided by a fox or skunk prior to hatch. Thank you Riverside Nature Center!
No comments:
Post a Comment