Saturday, June 26, 2010

MO Ranch Day Camp 2010



Ian attended day camp this past week at Mo Ranch. It was a week of long, hot days and lots of fun. He did lots of fun activities and came home exhausted every day. Usually he could barely relate the day to us that night, but would wake up the next morning and try to tell us everything that happened the day before in the 25 minutes we had before leaving for the bus.

If nothing else, he learned a lot this week about group dynamics and working with other kids. We had some discussions on being responsible for your own actions and your own words and how to talk to others when they aren't necessarily speaking kindly to you. Good lessons that we hadn't really had to work through much yet. He took it all in stride and I think has come out a better boy. Examples are being out voted by everyone else for more time petting horses instead of a short hike to see some recently discovered fox bones, or having to wait for everyone to finish in the bathrooms before heading back to craft time. Ian is sure he missed an hour of craft time waiting for one girl in the bathroom. Of course we also had lessons in putting our things away neatly and in the right spot - we are still missing a water bottle and a pair of jeans.

Friday Chris, Garrett and I went out for lunch, camp closing and family fun day. Ian received the "Spirit of Adventure" award which is right on target. After closing we spent most of our time at the rapids and swimming in the river.


So Beautiful. I had never been there to swim and I would go back everyday I think. Gorgeous wide river with a rock bottom, big pools of water to sit in and a naturally made waterslide that my boys never tired of. At the end of the day Ian asked again to go down the Mo Ranch Slide. Chris was confident he could do it and he was right. After a shorter run from the bottom and the cutest wish ever.... that "Mr. Frog was waterproof" he and Chris hiked up to the top and Ian had a blast. I read somewhere lately that parents always underestimate how tightly their children can hang on to things. That must be true.


He was disappointed that was his last day of camp, but I told him he has something to look forward to next summer. I think he will be even more ready, though I will still be a little sad to put him on the bus.

Garrett is already looking forward to the adventure. The rope swing was not his cup of tea, but he would have camped next to the rapids that night just to keep swimming.




1 comment:

Mike Hughes said...

Maeve: I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog!

Mike