Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Garrett is 4

We had a wonderful time celebrating Garrett's 4th birthday, a few times over.

First we headed out to the ranch with some friends to look for tadpoles and generally just hang out in and around the creek. After getting wet and finding a few new amphibious friends we partied back at the Bunk House with Tiger cake and ice cream. (This year I did a marble fudge cake and dyed the yellow cake part orange. It worked pretty well and I am already excited to do it better next year, because I am sure I will be asked for Tiger cake again.) He enjoyed all the preparations and of course having all his buddies out with him. He can shy away from attention at a moment's notice, but surrounded by people he loves he was basking in our flat rendition of Happy Birthday. Actually turning around to look at the people singing behind him. That just makes me laugh...who does that?



Next we had a party with the Grandparents! Shelly and Dave came down to visit and Grandmother and Grandpa arrived home from a trip just following his birthday, so we had a Garrett birthday party again. He was thrilled. Tiger cake of course and some great presents!
Among other things, his own baseball mitt and a pass to attend Zoo School!





Garrett is pretty typical for a middle child in that he can equally annoy both his older brother and his younger sister with very little effort. Sometimes even in the same breath. He is really a study in opposites right now having times when he is gentle and still followed by complete and utter physical chaos. He has gravitated to his right hand in writing and throwing, but still prefers his left foot when kicking. He has great language skills and is already reading and sounding out words - sometimes before Ian gets a chance. His picture drawing is still a bit impressionistic, but he comes up with the best descriptions that make you do a double take wondering if you missed something. For example, today at school he drew "a stingray that had caught a sea snake in a jar." He is an animal encyclopedia conjoined with an atlas so he can tell you if it is a mammal or an amphibian and on what continent it lives. Puzzles are still favorites as well as everything tigers. Running around growling like a dinosaur and playing zoo takes up a lot of our mornings and trust me this kid does not like wearing shoes.

My favorite part of the well child check up was hearing that he weighs 42 pounds and measures 42" tall. As you can imagine that is not a preferred ratio, but seeing as I don't think you can see the ribs of an obese 4 year old, I am not worried. This kid is just built like a truck. (My other favorite part of his check up was Nora standing with the nurse down by the vision chart saying what each picture was before Garrett had a chance to answer from down the hall.)

Garrett is constantly making me consider my parenting; how effective it is and how I can improve it. I am frustrated daily, but can see little positive changes coming along in both of us. He is such a big, talented boy, but I think he sometimes longs for baby days and he recognizes more than Ian, what he is leaving behind. As sad as I am to see it pass too, I can't wait for the day that he looks forward and fully embraces the amazing big boy he already is.

I will take putting on his own seat belt in the mean time... he can do it - he just doesn't want to.

Happy Birthday, my beautiful blue-eyed tiger boy!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

What a great entry about Garrett! I feel like I know him. I REALLY enjoy your blog!
BG Friend, Cindy