Saturday, January 9, 2010

Kid....Mom

I don't know how to describe this feeling, but it is still strange for me sometimes to be the mom in a situation where I have always been the kid. Yesterday, a cold grey day, I got a call from Ian's teacher that he had thrown up at school and of course needed to go home. He had shown no signs of illness that morning so I was surprised as much as I can be as a mom of 3. Nora was 20 minutes into her her afternoon nap and Garrett and I were trying to rest and read books, but we changed gears and got to school as quickly as possible.
When I walked in the little area where Ian was curled up on his rest mat watching a video I was reminded of being sick at school and my mom coming to get me in the middle of her (much busier, I should add) day. She dropped everything, though there might have been one more errand she had to do that day :) and made sure we were comfortable and could start to get better. While I have been working in this wonderful mom role for a long time it was sort of ?fun? to really be the mom in a situation that I know Ian will remember and hopefully cherish like I do. Ian even encouraged me for my efforts at one point. Laying on the couch with Chris sitting next to him he just said, "Momma, You are always so nice to me when I am sick." We laughed, but I knew what he meant.
He came home looking pale but settled. Thankfully, Elizabeth, was at the grocery store so she lovingly brought by some Sprite and after sleeping all afternoon he woke up to one more stomach fit, but survived and went back to bed fine. He woke up his usual Ian self this morning so we are thankful for a healthy big boy.
Being a mom is so rewarding and I am so blessed by what I learn and experience each day!

1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

What a sweet story.

You really are so blessed.

So are your children.